87 San Carlos Avenue, Sausalito
Offering absolute perfection, world class views, and a coveted Banana Belt location, 87 San Carlos Avenue is a true work of art offering sophisticated elegance and unparalleled craftsmanship.
Inspired by modern design and Scandinavian in spirit, sits an American shingle-style contemporary residence that has been meticulously remodeled, skillfully integrating wooden elements, glass detailing, and steel components surrounded by sweeping, unobstructed views of the San Francisco skyline, the Bay, the Bay Bridge, and Angel Island. With unmatched design and flawless execution, features and amenities include high box beam ceilings, great scale, Jada operable steel French doors and windows, bespoke custom lighting, and gorgeous hardwood floors.
Redesigned by noted architect, Scott Couture, his reinterpretation, loosens traditional rules of style and proportion to allow for expansive glass windows and doors, and strong visual and physical connections to the outdoors.
The 3,355 square-foot, three-story residence offers four bedrooms and three and a half baths. The optimal layout includes the main level with an extraordinary chef’s kitchen, a formal dining room, and an expansive living room fronted with windows framing the sailboat-dotted water and skyline beyond. The upper floor is host to the luxurious primary ensuite, an inspiring office with a private balcony and glass railing, and a second ensuite bedroom. The lower-level features two additional bedrooms, one full bath, and a large laundry room with a built-in Subzero 150 bottle wine refrigerator.
Designed by renowned landscape architect Katherine Webster, the gardens elevate the outdoor spaces by using timeless and lasting materials such as teak, steel, and basalt. The contrasting materials, cumulatively, celebrate a certain architectural precision but without a coldness.
The landscape is textural and soft. With a color palette of contrasts—charcoal-colored natural stone along with chartreuse and glaucus grey-blue notes, contribute to the soothing environment. Pathways lined with succulents pop up along the way to the rear patio deck, which is dotted with apple trees, and custom-planter boxes flourishing with overflowing succulents. This blended mix of groundcovers creates a tapestry that ties into the notion of being "bathed in nature".
Meticulous design, exceptional materials, and an idyllic location combine to create this awe-inspiring one-of-a-kind residence. Just minutes away from San Francisco, downtown Sausalito, the Golden Gate National Recreation Area, public transportation, shopping, and restaurants.
- Prime Banana Belt Location
- 4 bedrooms | 3.5 baths
- 3,296 square feet per tax records/ 3,355 square feet per Floor Plan Visuals
- .1877-acre lot per tax records
- Built in 1900 – Renovation designed by Scott Couture of Couture Architecture
- Magazine-worthy landscaping and gardens were designed by landscape architect - Katherine Webster
- Kitchen – Features a large custom island with seating for three (3) people. Custom shaker cabinetry, a custom wet bar, and Carrera marble countertops. High-end appliances include a built-in six-burner wolf gas range, custom hood over range, built-in sub-zero refrigerator, two dishwashers, two sinks, and a built-in microwave.
- Large Laundry Room – Located on the lower floor with a washer and dryer, built-in cabinetry, and Subzero 150 bottle wine refrigerator
- High-end recessed and designer light fixtures. Lutron-controlled lighting
- Multiple indoor-outdoor connections
- Basalt pavers and custom steel banisters with teak caps
- All historic windows hand rebuilt with double glazing added. Jada windows and steel French doors
- Nest controlled central heat and air conditioning upstairs
- Mature landscaping with multiple decks, incredible outdoor seating areas, and a built-in hot tub.
- Two car parking deck